Saturday, January 1, 2011

Notes on Future Me

To: Doloris Lachen
(English Department Head)
From: Mrs. Applebaume

As per our district's mandate for professional introspection, I have written a small description of what inspired me to become a teacher.

I have always been a teacher. It started with my Fisher Price School Days Desk. I loved it. I still do. It was creative, orderly, and gave me a justifiable reason to be "in charge" of my little brother. Come to think of it...I may have had a much larger hand in why he hated school than I thought...hmmmm. Well, it worked out well for me.

As an elementary student, I wrote notes. Not just to friends or for assignments. I took notes on my teachers.
1st grade-Mrs. Winkowski-Use cubbies for school papers. They are made from wine bottle  boxes set on their sides. They make perfect student mailboxes.
2nd grade- Ms. Regan-Don't scratch arms while teaching. The noise is terrible.
3rd grade-Mrs. Sanders-Don't wear beige bras under white shirts. It shows through.
4th grade-Mrs. Wilkins-Be willing to laugh and try things for the first time in front of the class. Even if it doesn't go as planned.
Also, on the last day of school before winter break, say "See you next year!". It is confusing, and then sooooo funny.
5th grade-Mrs. Edgeward-Do not humiliate one's student by following bad advice from a student's mother. I did NOT need to wear the hockey goalie helmet my mother bought at a yard sale that past summer. Yes, I was an epileptic, but we were only cross country skiing!!!
6th grade-Mrs. Bowie- Do make extra effort with students. Without her, I would never have had legible handwriting (I am one of those Lefties turned into a Righty).
Do make students show maturity. The slides of nude Olympian males painted on vases were important to the lesson. Our body is a natural thing. Giggling about it is unnecessary.

I stopped taking notes in junior high. There were too many teachers and hormones to worry about notes...but I was still making mental notes.

I do not think I missed much by stopping when I did. The bones of my future me are there.

Well, I hope this is what the district faculty leadership committee was looking for. I need to enter some grades, respond to two parent e-mails, and pull together homework assignments for six students (three are sick, two are out for sports, and one is suspended). I will also make time to call my brother.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could add Mr. Caldwell, French, Grammar and Idaho History teacher from junior high. Anyone who attended school with us then would know the lesson well.

    Soap, my friend. Soap. And not just on holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true. There are plenty of lessons only found in middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me think of those little things that teachers did that I can remember today. I spent forever in kindergarten memorizing my phone number and my address because we would get a bear hug. I did not know a bear hug was a giant mauling from the teacher rather than a cartoon character bear from a giant slip book we had been learning our ABC's from. Can you believe I must have actually asked for the hug after the reciting of my personal information to Mrs. Van Ep? No other kids must have asked for it or I would have known it was just bribery. I do admit that knowing the name of your street in kindergarten does come in handy 35 years later for credit card security information. It would be a lot more fun if MasterCard would ask "From whom did you receive your first bear hug?"

    ReplyDelete