Sunday, January 16, 2011

Some Assemblies Required

To: Doloris Lachen (English Dept. Head)
From: Mrs. Applebaume

Hi Doloris,

I wanted to let you know that your class was great at the End of Semester Assembly. I am glad my prep hour worked with the assembly schedule (I hope your meeting went well too).

You and I have attended the gamut of assemblies. I have shed tears for inspirational speakers, and student performances, and you have...from sheer boredom. This assembly stands alone. Allow me to share.

It started as your basic, Go Students, Finals are Over, Yahoo, kind of pep rally. There was the cheerleaders cheering, a mediocre vice principal speech from Mr. Bradley, some sugar-loaded junk given to the smart kids, and then our beloved custodian, Charlie.

I know what you are thinking...'Charlie?'. Apparently he had asked for a little time. I thought he might want to address the issue of girls blotting their lip gloss on the restroom mirrors (he had put up signs a couple of weeks ago asking them to stop). So, he gets up to the microphone and begins to talk about the pride he has in our school. He talks about how he sees our school's halls, windows, even desks as representing Us.

Now you know me, I am beginning to get verklempt. He calmly explains that he gives the same attention to the trophy cases as he does to the bathrooms. He takes the time to scrub every toilet with care. With his brush's help, he makes them sparkle. He explains that the finishing touch he does before turning off the restroom lights is take that same brush, and he scrubs the mirrors until they shine! He thanked the students one more time then went back to his seat.

I just thought you should know that our custodian takes school pride really seriously. I would also expect you to hear a few comments during your afternoon classes, so I wanted to give you the scoop.

2 comments: